Texting games are a great way to pass the time or keep yourself entertained. All you need is a phone and a friend with plenty of time to spare.
Sure, you can play Draw Something or Words with Friends, but there’s something nostalgic and fun about playing a simple SMS game with your best friend. Here are six cool texting games that you will love playing with friends.We also shared Cute Nicknames For Your Boyfriend.
FUN TEXTING GAMES TO PLAY WITH A GUY OR GIRL
20 Questions aren’t exactly a new game. It was popular during the 19th century as a spoken parlor game, but now you can play this same game through texting with a friend. The game is actually quite simple, and lots of fun.
- One player chooses either a person or an object.
- The other person attempts to guess what the object or person is in 20 questions or less. Each question is sent via text message.
- The player who chose the object or person can only answer “yes” or “no” to each question.
Try to pick a person or object that would be hard to guess to make the game more challenging and fun. Remember, only 20 questions can be asked. If the player cannot guess correctly after 20 questions, they lose.
It’s a favorite game amongst families for generations. Although it’s usually played during a long car journey, it can still offer fun and excitement when it’s played over a text message.
- To play this game, you can start by telling your girlfriend/boyfriend of where you are. Look around your environment and find something in particular.
- Your sweetheart should guess what you’ve spied. Of course, you’re going to give him/her a clue but you’ll only give the first letter of the object that you want him/her to guess.
You can give more clues for a wrong guess or limit the number of guesses that’s allowed in the game.
WOULD YOU RATHER
It’s usually played in a face-to-face set up, but you can do it over text instead.
- Would You Rather game may reveal the nature of your girlfriend/boyfriend. The rule here is to ask a question that starts with “would you rather…” Then, it’s followed by hypothetical scenarios.
- Those scenarios can be interrelated or they can be as distant as you wish them to be. However, the two options should carry the same weight.
- Your questions must be creative. The best “would you rather” questions are those that depict uncomfortable yet equally terrible options.
This is a great get to know your game because it can be funny and absurd at the same time. It can also be serious. It’s best to choose questions that require some thinking. It’s a fun game to create conversations because you can learn a lot about how you each think and also have debates about each option.
This is a great texting game for music lovers. It tends to be boring for those who don’t like music that contains lyrics. Nevertheless, it’s a kind of game that you can play when you’re out and about while your boyfriend/girlfriend is bored in the house.
- The game is played by one person quoting some lines from a song and send it to the other via text. The other person will have to guess the song that the lyrics are from.
- This is great if you two both love music.
- Or you can also include classic lines from a movie or a plot. However, make sure that the two of you like to watch movies. Else, you can never guess the classic lines.
If you failed to guess the answer correctly, the punishment could be to call your boyfriend/girlfriend and sing the song and vice versa.
This isn’t a popular game, but it still offers fun and excitement.
- You can find various abbreviations anywhere, from company names to phrases that are shortened for ease of use.
- However, in this texting game, you’re going to abbreviate what you’re up to.
For example, you can type in “I’m in a bathroom.” You can abbreviate it into IIAB. The other player will try to unabbreviate it so it’ll go back to its original form.
NEVER HAVE I EVER
This one usually involves a lot of players during a drinking session. However, this, too, can be played over text with just two people. It’s another great get to know you game. It reveals facts about your girlfriend or boyfriend.
- The players will take a turn in making statements about what they’ve never done before.
- Each time a statement is made that’s the opposite of his/her experiences, the opposite player loses one point.
- Some rules should be applied to how someone will lose a point.
The questions and answers of both players can reveal some deep-seated secrets about the players.
This is great for writers. As they say, two heads are usually better than one.
- With this game, one player starts by texting the beginning word, sentence or a phrase to the other player.
- When the other player reciprocates with another word, sentence or phrase, another player reciprocates and so on and so forth.
- The answers can build a narrative that’s built by the first player. Sometimes the story built can be terrific or horrendous. It can also be an epic or a real good story. The back and forth statements can eventually build a plot over text.
Don’t worry about the flow of the story. You shouldn’t expect it to be eloquent or seamless. But the twist of the story offers more depth that the two players are compelled to keep the story going.
Of course, you should make restrictions. For example, you should limit word count per text.
You can start by texting your boyfriend/girlfriend something like “Once a upon a time.” The second player will answer with “in a land called nowhere.” Then, your text buddy would respond with another phrase or a word, and so on and so forth.
In this game,
- One of you will start to text a “what if” scenario and ask the girlfriend or boyfriend what they’d do in that particular situation.
- There’s no right or wrong answer but it’s fun to find out the other player’s responses. This will also help you get to know more about your crush.
You can use some variations like leaving the question to be open-ended. There are several variations that you can do with this game to make it more fun and exciting.
This is yet another awesome game to get to know each other. It’s perfect if you just started dating or have dated awhile already. There are always personal things that you might not know about your girlfriend or boyfriend.
- It’s also a kind of game that requires asking of personal questions that are sometimes asked during a job interview.
- You can ask your text mate about his/her pet’s name, middle name and other questions that you want to ask.
- To make the game more interesting, make sure that the questions don’t feel like an interview. For example, you may ask him/her the one thing that he/she would buy if he had one million dollars.
A personal trivia texting game will reveal fun facts about your text buddy. It can be a very simple game but it can go on indefinitely. You can even play this game for days or weeks. Alternate the questions so it feels less like an interview.
This is an easy and fun word game to play over text.
- Both choose a topic like states, cities, animals, countries, or famous actors and actresses.
- After that one of the players begins the word game. For example, your boyfriend/girlfriend texts a word and you text another word, beginning with the last letter of the other player’s last word.
This game can go on indefinitely. However, if one of you can’t come up with a new word, you know who’s the loser.
This is a fun game you probably know from your childhood. A text-based hangman is quite similar to a piece of the paper version.
- Players set a number of points and after that the first player texts a series of underscores each representing a letter of the chosen word.
- The other player guesses a letter that they think might be a part of that word.
- If he/she guesses the correct letter, the first player applies the letter in one of the underscores which fills the slot.
- However, if the letter guessed is incorrect, the player loses a point. Whoever wins can choose another word.
This texting game is definitely a challenging game and each player will have to think harder. When playing this game with a guy or girl, you must have a goal in mind on how to make the conversation more interesting. Is your intention more on creating a connection with the guy/girl? Or would you like to be asked on a date?
Hangman texting game can be well-played if you and your text buddy are feeling bored. One of you will just have to text either a word with some missing letters or just blanks and give the opponent a hint.
KISS, MARRY, KILL
This is a popular game many people like to play online. However, it can be equally fun to play it over the text. Especially when your phone is not connected to the internet.
- This game involves names of people, celebrities or people you both know.
- For example, your boyfriend or girlfriend texts a name of a person or a celebrity and you try to answer whether they want to kiss, marry, or kill the person.
This is a fun game where both of you pretend to be celebrities that you like and know well.
- You should know how they behave and speak and what they would say in a particular situation.
- Text one another saying things that the real celebrity would say.
- The one who loses is the player who will lose the focus.
Instead of a celebrity, you can also choose a movie character. Everything is optional.
TRUTH OR DARE
This game can be played the same way like it is played in front of each other. You can make it more fun by sharing your picture when choosing a dare. Don’t forget to delete the picture later! Although it’s usually played at social gatherings, it would be great to play it over text without losing its entertainment and fun elements.
- When you choose “truth,” you should answer the question truthfully.
- Then, if the dare is chosen, the player’s camera should be used to capture the evidence of the dare.
What’s great about “truth or dare” game on text is that your girlfriend/boyfriend will be more open to share truths than he/she would in person. It’s one of the reasons it’s a great game if you wish to know the other person on the line. But make sure that the questions are not too offensive that you might hurt his/her feelings. It’s also a fun game because it creates a fun conversation as you learn more about each other. You may also have debates about every question without actually starting a fight.
This game isn’t really a texting game as you need to send a photo instead. However, it’s a great game to play. It may sound silly like the name of the game, but it can be quite fun.
- If your phone is connected to the internet, you can find the funniest photos you can find online and send them to your partner.
- He/she will get a good laugh and you can continue sending these silly pictures back and forth with each other for hours!
- You can also choose a specific category to make it more interesting. For example, you can use, animals, celebrities, people, funny quotes etc.
- Within minutes of playing the game, the two of you will have lots of funny images found on the Internet in your phones.
Silly pictures is an awesome game that can be funny, absurd or serious. Either way, you must try to find photos that aren’t only silly but they require a lot of thinking, especially if the photos are too absurd you don’t know what they truly are.
EMOJI TRANSLATION (EMOTICONS)
This requires you to both have emoji keyboard on your smartphone. If you do then this is a great game to play with your boyfriend/girlfriend.
- There are so many emojis that don’t seem to have any meaning at first but stringing them together in a way that could sort of make sense will most likely lead to many laughs.
- To make things even more fun, use your creativity and try to communicate using only emojis to see if you are able to understand each other.
- The best part about this game is that the two of you probably won’t be successful in communicating using emojis alone. And this is what makes this game funny and interesting.
You need to be creative when playing this game. And make sure that you have the latest keyboards so you can have as many options as you want to be.
- This is absolutely an awesome texting game where all the words of the message should be written reverse.
- Also, the response should be given in the same way. This is a fun way to kill time or just make things more interesting.
Sometimes, plain old texting gets boring, so spice up the things. You will sure have a laugh or two trying to figure out what the messages are saying.
This is another fun game to play over text.
- You can choose a single word or a phrase to start with.
- The other player has to follow up with another word or phrase that rhymes with the first one.
Players continue to go back and forth until one player cannot come up with a response that rhymes.
This is a great game that may even increase your vocabulary skills. It doesn’t only reduce boredom but it also reduces stress.
- The game is simple, the players choose a random word which needs to be broken apart and rearrange its letters to generate as many combinations of words as possible.
- You can choose the time frame to 5 minutes or longer, whatever is comfortable for both of you. Whoever creates more words is the winner.
- To make this game more challenging besides setting the time limits, you could give extra points for every type of word.
- For instance, the longer the words, the higher the points. For every round, the two of you should get a turn to create or make up the word and choose as many rounds as you wish.
When you first think about this game, you might find it a little boring. But don’t underestimate how fun this game can be. It’s a great texting game that may help in forming a bond with your partner, especially if you like him/her. This is also a great game to pass the time while you’re bored at work. But make sure that you’re not caught by your boss playing during work hours.
FILL IN THE BLANKS
This can be a flirty texting game to play with your girlfriend or boyfriend. If you are comfortable enough with your partner then this can be a fun game to play when you haven’t seen each other for a while.
- One player starts out with a question about herself/himself, and leave one important word blank – and let the partner fill it in! For example: “You really love it when I…” or “I am at my cutest after…”
- The great thing about this game is that you get your girlfriend/boyfriend start thinking about you and little flirting is always fun. He/she will be more happy to see you next time.
- However, you should not expect your text mate to send only compliments. That said, don’t be too surprised if you get an answer of “washing the dishes” in response to the “You’re the cutest after…”
But some could be quite graphic when answering. That said, if you don’t want to ruin the game with some absurd questions, you should establish some rules.
These 20 games are more than enough to keep you entertained when you’re bored, or to interact with your friends in a new way.